Monday, May 28, 2012

Birthdays!

So, May 26, was my birthday.  The year that I was born, May 26, fell on Memorial Day.  My mom always tells me that I interrupted the golf game of the doctor who delivered me. 

Birthdays have always been a HUGE deal to me.  I love birthdays... and not just my birthday.  I think that birthdays should be celebrated with fantastic cake and ice cream and potato chips.  Birthdays are days that the birthday guy or girl should feel special.

I guess that is how I ended up with a bakery.  I love cake which is the ultimate symbol associated with birthdays.  Some people dream in color... I dream in cake.

The day after my birthday, I start thinking about what kind of cake I want for my birthday the next year.  I debate all year long.  I consider cheesecake or a great brownie with ice cream, but ultimately I settle on cake.  As you might have noticed, I love and adore cake.

For years, my birthday cake of choice has been my mom's and now my white velvet.  It is the best cake in the entire world to me.  It is light and fluffy and all things that cake should be. 

Last year however, I decided to experiment with something new, and The Tipsy Bee's lemon blueberry cake was born.  It was a decadent cake full of tartness and sweetness all rolled into one.  No wonder it is now a favorite at The Tipsy Bee.

This year, I thought that I would go traditional.  I am a huge fan of yellow cake with chocolate icing.  In fact, I eat a piece of chocolate every day.  So yellow cake with chocolate icing was going to be my cake.  It was a done deal... until it wasn't.  I briefly toyed with the idea of a buttermilk chocolate chunk cake that looked oh so dreamy.

Until I came upon a blog that had a wonderful neopolitan cake.  Strawberry, vanilla, and chocolate cake provided the ultimate birthday cake.  Chocolate poundcake topped with vanilla bean poundcake and fresh strawberry cake let me indulge every aspect of my sweet tooth.  The ultimate birthday cake was born.  By the time I added ice cream and potato chips, I was in birthday heaven.  So here is to birthdays and to glorious cake!  XOXO The Tipsy Bee

Three layers

...with a crumb coat

The finished product

...with candles

The cut cake

... with ice cream and chips!










1 comment: