Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Soft-shelled Crabs and My love for them

There are so many things that I love about the South, and especially eastern NC.  People are friendly, the pace of the world is slow, everyone knows everyone, and the food is awesome.  I usually talk about sweets because if you know me or look at my website or facebook or Twitter, you may have noticed that I am slightly obsessed with sugar.  However, this time of year, I am thinking of something a bit different... drum roll please...soft-shelled crabs.  Soft-shelled crabs have merely molted.  But they are found primarily in April to early June off of the NC coast.

My mom, an awesome woman, and a fantastic cook, recently made this dinner of soft-shelled crabs.  I take it for granted sometimes that because I live so near the coast, fresh seafood is really easy to come by... a mere hop, skip, and a jump away.

I absolutely love seafood.  If God had put me on this earth any further inland, I would have suffered greatly.  If I go out to dinner, it goes without saying that I will order seafood.  In fact, I like seafood so much that I even eat it cold... for breakfast.  I know, my family thinks that I am a little bit odd, too!

The South gets this bad rap of wanting everything heavily battered and deep fried. I mean, after all, this is the place where we even fry candy bars. The best seafood to me though is lightly dipped in corn meal and fried just until the seafood is golden brown. So if you just happen to be in NC this time of year and have the chance to sample a seafood delicacy... eat, enjoy, and think of me! XOXO, The Tipsy Bee


No comments:

Post a Comment