Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Little Chester

Dogs truly are man's best friend.  When my day is fantastic, my fur babies are there for me.  If my day is horrible, they are still there for me.  I have three fur babies... Chester, J.E.B., and Holly Berry.  In this post, I thought that I would introduce Chester, my oldest.

Growing up, I always had lots of animals around... dogs, cats, cows, goats, and pigs.  However, until I adopted Chester, I didn't realize how much a part of my life a dog could be and how I would adjust my life around a dog.  It is kinda funny how life works out.

I decided to adopt a dog while living alone in college.  I researched and researched, trying to find the perfect dog.  I considered a purebred dog.  Since I lived in an apartment, I was leaning toward something like a dachshund.  Though I figured that I would talk to a dog breeder, my cousin suggested that I look into rescue organizations.  I contacted the Dachshund Rescue of North America and completed an application for a cute dog on their website.  The dog had already been adopted, so they suggested a couple of other dogs, one of which was Chester.

I did not like his name, but I thought that he was a cute little guy.  So I went through the interview process and the home visit... yes a home visit much as people go through when they adopt children.  Luckily, I passed with flying colors.  Chester was going to be my new companion.  And, as I told my mom, I would change his name, and no, he would not sleep on my bed or sit on my furniture.  Famous last words.

The day came for me to meet Chester's foster mom in Greensboro.  We agreed to meet at a McDonald's.  When I saw Chester, he was so pitiful.  He looked like he had never ever known what it meant to be loved.  I promised him then and there that I would do everything that I could to make his life the best that it could be from that day forward.  He had been rescued from a kill shelter in Chester, SC and had heartworms before he was a year old.  I also decided then and there that Chester was a Chester.  The name just fit.

When we arrived back in Raleigh, where I lived at the time, I immediately gave Chester a bath.  In the days ahead, he followed me everywhere I went.  He became my shadow.  I found out that he loved to ride in the car.  And he slept on my bed the very first night and has continued to sleep there ever since. 

I have spent less than two weeks away from Chester in the eight years since I adopted him.  When I lived in Kentucky, I made arrangements for Chester to spend his days hanging out at a vet clinic while I worked.  He has had birthday parties, regularly attended doggie day camp, travels regularly, and loves to run on the beach.  Chester was so popular when we lived in Raleigh that I was known simply as Chester's mom. 

 Chester is the first thing I see every morning and the last thing that I see at night.  He is my "little Chester baby" who weighs 32 pounds but thinks that he weighs 132 pounds.  He is the sweetest, most laid back dog.  Some people may think that it is a bit much all of the things that I do for him.  I mean after all, he is just a dog, as I am sometimes told.  But he makes my life better... richer.  He loves me unconditionally and without reservation, and I can't imagine my life without him. XOXO The Tipsy Bee

2 comments:

  1. Chester is lucky to have such a loving mommy. Furry babies are family too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chester is lucky to have such a loving mommy. Furry babies are family too :)

    ReplyDelete